Monday, June 11, 2012

More About Friends ...

Well, I have been thinking more about this subject of friends. I have been evaluating situations and circumstances and adjusting my behavior accordingly. I find that, for the most part, socialization is highly over-rated. I find that I become too irritable and start comparing myself to others when I am around them a whole lot. Why is that? I don't purposely set out to do such things. I have had to make some hard decisions lately and scary. They, the group, will ostracize me if I do this, and in someways I do feel ostracized. But that is nothing new for me, as they didn't really seem to want to be around me before either. It's hardest though when you see it affecting your children.


My son received an invitation to a birthday party. Last year when he attended this particular boy's birthday party, he came home very upset, angry and generally overall feeling depressed and bullied. I tried to explain that human flesh is that way. People are generally selfish and no, I did not know why so and so would do that... so this year, he was considering going again. My husband and I both talked to him because we really felt safety could be an issue. I know my son well enough to know he can be very irritating. But at the same time, I have seen some atrocious behavior from boys who claim to be Christian. What to do, what to do? We reminded him of conversations and scenarios of hurt, anger, bitterness...We evaluated. Is it worth it? We all came to the conclusion that the risks were too high. Maybe it would be better to let it pass by this year. In teaching myself boundaries to live by, I find that my children need to learn this too. For far too long I have told them to treat others like they wanted to be treated so much so that it is almost detrimental to my children's health. I believe Christ would love them regardless but I don't know that He would put up with continued affronts. Where does it all fit in to God's plan? Why must we go through this desert? We have been walking this path for a long time. We are tired of being on the outside looking in...tired of trying to reach out in a hand of fellowship only to be 'slapped in the face' so to speak. We are finding it very nice to be around ourselves and say, 'Hang it' to the world and so-called Christians. I don't believe a Christian should mock someone, and if it is a child, the parent should correct that child.


In the meantime, , my son is learning to not react to emotions but rather to really think the situation out,


No comments: